... from the IDEApro Suite
[GBP] Jobless rate falls unexpectedly
[GBP] The UK ILO-based measure of the unemployment rate (released Tues) fell to 4.8% in the 3mths to Mar, slightly undershooting consensus expectations for remaining unchanged from the 3mths to Feb's figure of 4.9%, and it is the lowest rate since the 3mths to Aug. In addition, employment increased way more than expected, by 84K in the 3mths to Mar, vs a (-)73K fall in the 3mths to Feb and compared with the market prediction of a 50K rise. Apr claimant count unemployment decreased by (-)15.1K, following a downwardly revised (-)19.4K in Mar (prev. 10.1K).
5/18/2021 5:29:45 PM
[FRX] Forex market outlook - 19 May
[FRX] The USD continued weaker for the third consecutive session, with the DXY dropping below 90.00 to languish close to its intra-day low of 89.693 - near-12-week lows - from its Mon close of 90.164, against the backdrop of higher treasury yields. Upcoming speeches from US Fed officials and the tone of the FOMC minutes on Weds might not be sufficient to significantly lift the bearish USD mood in the s-t. - Please see our forex market outlook below.
5/18/2021 5:24:35 PM
[USD] US infrastructure plan likely to receive boost Tuesday
[USD] President Biden's $2.25 trillion infrastructure spending plan is expected to receive a boost Tuesday, as a group of moderate Republicans is expected to announce a new compromise counter-offer focused on roads, bridges and other physical infrastructure spending. These Republicans had previously proposed a $568bn package as a counter-offer, while Senate Minority Leader McConnell had recently signaled that he could raise the offer as high as $800bn. Last Friday, White House Press Secretary Psaki had said that a new proposal was expected to be delivered to Biden by Republican Senator Capito, who leads the group of Republican moderates, no later than Tuesday.
5/18/2021 1:24:39 PM
[MXN] Sentiment could sour as USMCA talks continue
[MXN] The MXN has strengthened further and is potentially eying the USD/MXN 19.50 area, having broken through the key USD/MXN 20.00 level, with Banxico turning more hawkish last week and USD weakening as well as oil prices helping too. But with ministerial level trade talks currently underway on a number of issues as part of the NAFTA-replacing USMCA regional trade deal (which came into force last July after being delayed), sentiment could sour. This is the first annual meeting of the so-called Free Trade Commission between trade ministers from the US and Canada and Mexico's economy minister Tatiana Clouthier (being held virtually) and the focus is on labour issues after the US filed a complaint under the USMCA dispute resolution mechanism claiming that GM workers in Mexico are being denied their rights while Mexico has highlighted worker conditions in US agriculture and meat packing.
5/18/2021 12:00:32 PM
IDEAglobal clients have been asking if we could make some revisions to the FX service
on Thomson Reuters (IDEAFX). In response we have added a number of benefits for you:
- Streamlined product structure for ease of use.
- Reordered technical pages to allow users to more quickly review our technical calls on major FX pairs.
- Daily CNH analysis (IDEAFX70) in light of the surge in FX volume seen in the offshore market over recent quarters.
Download the IDEAFX product guide here.
IDEAglobal products on Bloomberg
IDEAglobal products can now be accessed on Bloomberg in two ways:
1. NH IDE. This will pull up all of IDEAglobal’s research in a newswire format, from which you can scroll down and click onto the analysis or strategy piece of interest. Additionally, based on your subscription you will also have access to IDEAglobal research within relevant Bloomberg news feeds.
2. IDGL. This provides a menu for IDEAglobal’s products, arranged by their key sections: FastTrack, Fundamental Analysis, Technical Analysis, and Strategy. This then allows the user to drill down to specific articles on the markets covered by IDEAglobal. (See example here.)
IDEAglobal's main products are:
• FX and FX options - G10 and EM foreign exchange markets
• Global Rates - G10 money and government debt markets
• EM Asia - FX and debt markets in Emerging Asia
If you have any questions or would like a trial then please contact us at
IDEA and Policymakers
IDEAglobals focus is to provide independent, forward-looking actionable research on the global financial markets twenty-four hours a day.
The IDEAfirst Team
Meet the individuals who produce our market moving insights.
About IDEA Morning Briefings
The flagship of IDEAglobal: our indispensable daily faxes. From Asia to North America, we deliver the professional key analysis every business day.